A Portrait of Loyalty by Roseanna M. White

A Portrait of Loyalty (The Codebreakers, #3)

This is the third book in the Codebreaker's series and it's a good one.

There is something about this book that is so real and so good. It's not just all happy endings. There is grief, loss, and danger, along with joy and love. But isn't that so real to our own normal lives?

Set in London during World War I, Zivon Marin has fled his beloved Russia because the Bolsheviks have made it very clear that in their quest for equality for all, they do not tolerate differing opinions. Reduced to the low man on the totem pole, Zivon must prove his allegiance and his loyalty while someone else wants to disprove it.

I keep a book journal and it's rare that I fill more than one page for any book and for sure not in a fiction book, but this book had me copying more than my normal amount of quotes. There are just some good things in this book.

"But Batya used to say that the difference between a wise man and a fool was not that the wise man was right and the fool wrong - but that the fool always assumed himself right, and the wise man would wonder if he could be wrong."

"We cannot prove ourselves better than our enemies by denying them what they denied us, but only by giving them what they denied us."

Another thing I really like about this book is that there really was a Russian cryptographer in London during World War 1. There were photography experts who doctored pictures to send a false message to the enemies. And while extreme liberties were taken to make a story, I like when there are bits of history that I can learn and  still enjoy a good, well-written story. 

I received this book from Bethany House via NetGalley and was not required to write a positive review.  All opinions expressed are my own. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fragrant Whiffs of Joy by Dorcas Smucker (It's Giveaway time)

PRECIOUS CHILD

With Every Memory by Janine Rosche