Overcomer by Chris Fabry



A novelization by Chris Fabry based on the motion picture by Alex Kendrick and Stephen Kendrick.

I get invested in my books, I can hardly put them down and need to know how they end. I can put a book down and go wow! that was good. But it takes a new kind of book to make me cry, but this book made me cry, a few different times even. This morning as I finished it, I wondered if my blanket was going to be wet with my tears because I could feel them running down. I'm not even sure if I can describe why the book made me cry, but it touched me and now I really, really want to watch the movie.

A reviewer I read said this was a feel-good story. I'm not sure I can agree with that. Yes, it had a good ending, but I'm not sure I can totally call it a happy ending. It was a blessed ending, a Jesus ending, but there was a profound loss as well.

Hannah is a young girl, who was raised by her grandma. She struggles to make friends, she has a bad habit that gets her kicked out of schools and there's not much more I want to say without giving away the storyline. But thanks to some good, kind, caring people who go out of their way for her, she is given a new chance in life, several even, depending on how you look at it.

Thomas Hill was a man Coach Harrison accidentally befriended and he asked a powerful question, a question that I think everyone should ask themselves: "Who are you?"  Here are a few more quotes from that conversation. I hope they will make sense on their own, if they don't, all the more reason for you to go read the book!!

"Look, John, your identity will be tied to whatever you give your heart to."  "Simple questions often lead to hidden passages. The world turns and hearts find their way when simple questions are given the space for honest answers." This is so thought-provoking to me. What is my heart tied to and do I allow myself the space to find the answers to the questions I am being asked.

"But when you find your identity in the One who created you, it will change your whole perspective."

This was such a good book and I would highly recommend it to everyone. Either read the book or go watch the movie. I haven't seen the movie, but I can imagine it is very good.

I received this book from Tyndale via NetGalley. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fragrant Whiffs of Joy by Dorcas Smucker (It's Giveaway time)

PRECIOUS CHILD

With Every Memory by Janine Rosche