For Deposit Only




Stamp! Stamp! Stamp!  The deposit stamp clunks down on the checks as I prepare them for deposit. I can predict that I will soon hear a pattering of feet and animated requests of "Do my hand" Do me".  All because one time, for fun, I stamped the back of their cute, little hands and now every time they hear it, they come running. It's a ritual now, one I question if I should bring to an end, but....I think it will end on its own soon enough and all that will be left will be the faint memory and silent longing for those "littles" days.  So, for now, I let them run around with a stamp on their hand that says, "For deposit only --------"

But the thought struck me this week as I yielded to their request: what if it really were that easy? Just a stamp and they were secure. The stamp guarantees that that check will be deposited into our church's bank account. How handy would it be if we could just stamp little pudgy hands and it would guarantee that they would become a part of our church? (And by the church, I mean the greater body of believers in Christ) We could forego the angst and tears. We wouldn't need to endlessly question our parenting techniques. We wouldn't have to wonder if that harsh word will condemn them to years of therapy. (Not that therapy is bad, but we don't want it to be our fault they need therapy)  We could rest secure in their future. Wouldn't that be so nice?

Or would it? Wouldn't it make us lazy? Wouldn't it cause a deadening of our souls? After all, what would we really need God for? If we questioned someone's actions, we would just grab their hand and stamp them and then all would be well. We could live free, carefree lives because we hold the stamp. 

But don't we hold a greater stamp? We hold the power of the Holy Spirit in our lives as we live yielded to God. We hold the Word of God written in our hearts, ready to convict and prod us. We hold the salvation of Jesus as His lifegiving blood poured out for us and our sins and we can now stand forgiven. We have been given so much, how can we help but pour out for others? How can we stand by and not want to pour out our time and energy into these young lives entrusted to us?

Yes, it's hard. They learn so much by example and sometimes I just wish they would listen more and follow less, you know, because I'm not perfect and sometimes I make some big mistakes and they see those. But I want to pour out my heart and soul into them. I want them to want to follow Jesus because they saw me following Jesus, imperfect though that journey is. 

So yes, it would be nice to have the surety of their salvation, to know that a stamp would guarantee a good outcome, but how much I would miss of the daily opportunities to model Christ's love to them, to model forgiveness, both giving and asking for it, to model service, kindness, graciousness, and sacrifice. 

So today, let that stamp on their hand remind me that I am stamping an even bigger imprint on their hearts, one that won't fade with a single bath, but one that will go with them through their lives, no matter where their choices take them. May that stamp always guide them to the Father who loves them so much more and so much better than I can. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fragrant Whiffs of Joy by Dorcas Smucker (It's Giveaway time)

PRECIOUS CHILD

With Every Memory by Janine Rosche