The Memory House by Rachel Hauck

The Memory House by Rachel Hauck

Let me start by saying I will read anything Rachel Hauck writes. I have read six to ten of her books so far and have loved them all, but especially the books that take two generations and by flipping back and forth between the characters, tell both of their stories. And I am not usually a fan of that, because too often I find I really like the one character and don't really care about the other one. But not in Rachel's books. They draw you in and she makes the characters likable and so you just want to cheer all of them on. I'm not sure if I can give you a favorite book, but The Memory House is a good place to start. I think I read The Wedding Chapel first and that was also an amazing read.

And now, on to the story. Two ladies: one lost her family, one lost her memories and her dad. Both wander lost, unwilling and unable to move on fully with life. Everleigh, based in the 1950s and beyond, is viewed as having one foot in the grave already because she is unwilling to move on and Beck, based in the present, has learned to present herself as the Ice Queen police officer to hide any trace of tenderness. And while there is romance in the story, to me it is both an integral part of the story and also just a backdrop to the bigger issues represented here. It's just a good read.

This is a story of tragedy and mistakes, but also incredible redemption, forgiveness, and restoration. When I look at the forgiveness that had to happen in the one scene, I just wonder, would I be able to forgive and love like that? I think that might be my question to ponder from this book. What do forgiveness and restoration look like in my life? Am I willing to wrestle through it for the beauty that's on the other side? Am I willing to let God be God and to allow Him to do the work in my life that is needed to perfect me?

I received this book from Book Look Bloggers and was not required to write a positive review.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fragrant Whiffs of Joy by Dorcas Smucker (It's Giveaway time)

PRECIOUS CHILD

With Every Memory by Janine Rosche