Relationomics by Dr. Randy Ross

Relationomics by Dr. Randy Ross

Business Powered by Relationships

"The single greatest factor impeding healthy relationships is myopia." Randy says this tends to look like me-first. "It's the tendency to make choices based on what is best for me, with blatant disregard for how choices may impact those around me."

"A good marriage is a work of art crafted over the course of time by two broken people who recognize their frailty and extend grace to each other."

Now I recognize that that last quote seems completely unrelated to the title of the book and in many ways it is, except the context in which this quote was placed in the book. Randy was called in to help solve some less than desirable work relationships and realized the manager was also on the brink of divorce. He focuses instead initially on this man's relationship with his wife, gives him some feedback on what he should take responsibility for in that relationship and then, over the course of time, divided his time equally between coaching his work relationship and his marriage relationship. The change that happened in both relationships was amazing. Because he worked to relate better with his wife, he was, in turn, able to more effectively relate with his team members.

Why? Because this man was learning to be a value creator and not a value extractor. What do those words mean? Being a value creator means, in my own words, to live life for the benefit of others, to live for the good of the company you are working for, the family you are living with, the people you are in community with, etc. Being a value extractor, again in my own words, is basically living to suck the life out of other people and making life all about yourself.

One of the things I want to start to do with the books I read is to find a question that comes from the content of the book and apply it to myself.  And the question for me from this book is this: Am I a value creator or a value extractor? It's a question my husband and I have been chasing around since I read about the concept in this book.

I really enjoyed this book and would highly recommend it to everyone. I especially view it as a must read to anyone contemplating starting their own business.

I received this book from Baker Books and was not required to write a positive review.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fragrant Whiffs of Joy by Dorcas Smucker (It's Giveaway time)

PRECIOUS CHILD

The Swindler's Daughter by Stephania H. McGee