Brunch at Bittersweet Cafe by Carla Laureano

Brunch at Bittersweet Café

I think this is my last fiction post for the month and I'm glad. I feel like I really overindulged in fiction this month and while it's a good break from deep reading, too much is too much back to back, especially such light fluffy reading.

This also falls into the caliber of fun, light reading, but I did really enjoy it. I loved reading about the food aspects as well because I am intrigued by fancy pastries and also by owning my own cafe/pastry shop. So watching Melody and Rachel work together to get it up and running was interesting as well, even though the author admits that she way expedited the process to make the book more interesting. I can appreciate that in a fiction novel because reading pages and pages of red tape and prolonged hunting for the perfect building would have been boring.

Anyway, Melody, the pastry chef meets Justin, the airline pilot and you know how the story ends. Of course, there are twists and turns in the way, but I don't need to go into detail there. I want to point out some other details. Melody has a string of dating relationships gone awry and Justin has a plan for his life he doesn't like to interfere with along with a fear of relationship. He also struggles to believe that God has anything to do with his life and if He does, He is more out to get Justin, then to help him.

"You can't blame God for my MS, Justin...Things happen in this world...but that doesn't mean God's abandoned us. It just means that we live in a messed-up world. It's when we trust Him completely that He begins to bring good out of bad situations."

"Instead of learning to trust Him, to let God guide him, he'd placed his confidence in his own ability to navigate his life." Ah, how often I do that, thinking that I know best what I need.

I really enjoyed this book and want to read the rest of the series. I think this is at least book two, but I didn't feel like I was really missing much. I guess it's just called A Supper Club Novel, not really insinuating you need to read them in order.

I received this book from Tyndale Publishers and was not required to write a positive review.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fragrant Whiffs of Joy by Dorcas Smucker (It's Giveaway time)

PRECIOUS CHILD

The Swindler's Daughter by Stephania H. McGee