The Warsaw Sisters by Amanda Barratt

 


Words almost fail me at the horror and beauty of this story. I knew little of Poland during World War II and to read of the almost complete destruction of Warsaw and its inhabitants is mind-blowing. I suppose this exposes my ignorance, but I cannot fathom the human mind that is capable of systematically killing off thousands and thousands of people. I know the stories of Hitler and Auschwitz and now Warsaw, but I still cannot imagine being one of the killers or living through the terror as a civilian, never knowing when you would be next on their list. 

And yet, through this horror, the bravery and heart of Warsaw's citizens shines through. While Antonina and Helena are fictional characters, the organizations they represent were real and alive. Children were smuggled out of the ghetto and there really was an underground resistance that eventually came above ground. The bravery intermingled with the danger that constantly surrounded them is an incredible story to read. 

"I know only that my father taught me if a man is drowning, you cannot simply stand on the shore and pity him. You must dive into the water and try to pull him out, even if you cannot swim, or else how can you call yourself a human being?"  How do I apply this principle to my own life today? At this point in my life, giving of myself for others, doesn't even really cost me that much. I'm certainly not looking down a rifle barrel being held to my head, and yet, I can so quickly shy away from reaching out to help the person down the street or right next door to me. 

I loved this book in all its heart-breaking beauty. It is not a light read--many, many people die, people that you cheered for and hoped they would survive. It is my first book that I have read by Amanda and I will be checking out the library for more of hers in the future. She has a captivating way of writing.

I received this book from Revell and was not required to write a positive review.  All opinions expressed are my own. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fragrant Whiffs of Joy by Dorcas Smucker (It's Giveaway time)

PRECIOUS CHILD

With Every Memory by Janine Rosche