The All-American by Susie Finkbeiner

 


Sad and hopeful all at once, this book delivers a bit of a punch. Let's just say, I didn't see the ending coming quite like it did and I'm a little sad that I don't know what happened to all the characters. The story mixes the joy of playing on the Workington Sweet Peas, all All-American girls baseball team with the sadness of being label a secret Communist in the US in the 1950s. 

Forced out of their home after the dad, a well-known author, was accused of being a Communist, the family flees to Uncle Matthew's home. While there, Bertha lands a place on the baseball team, the Workington Sweet Peas, and life is looking up, until tragedy strikes.....

I enjoyed the book. I could have done without the filler words and with a little more God in the book, but overall, it was a good, clean read.

Flossie, Bertha's sister, was such a fun add-in. She had a 110% vivacious personality that made her chapters so fun to read. 

I enjoyed the book-it was a balance of joy and sorrow. It was not my classification of a chick flick read at all. In fact, I was close to tears during part of the story.

I received this book from Revell and was not required to write a positive review. All opinions are my own. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fragrant Whiffs of Joy by Dorcas Smucker (It's Giveaway time)

PRECIOUS CHILD

With Every Memory by Janine Rosche