Along a Storied Trail by Ann H. Gabhart

 


Set in the Appalachian Mountains during the Great Depression, Ann takes us on another journey exploring what life could have been like for those living in the mountains, this time as a packhorse librarian. Times are hard during the Great Depression and Tansy's father has left home looking for work and has not been heard from. Tansy loves books and takes the job as a librarian so she can help support her family. In spite of the inclement weather she sometimes has to go out in, she loves her job. 

There are a lot of varied characters in the book and you have to love each one of them. Perdita is persnickety and cranky on the surface, but opens her heart to Coralee who desperately needs her help. I would love to describe more of the characters, but I feel like I give away too much of the story to do that. I loved the community feel in this book, the way people looked out for each other, the way they opened their home and shared what little they had to help the next person. I think it's a picture of how God would want us to open our hearts to help those around us. 

Of course, there is romance in the book, but it's kind of a low-key aspect of the book and yet it's three different couples. 

I enjoy these Appalachian stories and I think Ann does a good job of writing them. 

I received this book from Revell and was not required to write a positive review.  All opinions expressed are my own. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fragrant Whiffs of Joy by Dorcas Smucker (It's Giveaway time)

PRECIOUS CHILD

With Every Memory by Janine Rosche