Growing Slow by Jennifer Dukes Lee

 


A 6-week guided journey to un-hurrying your heart

Let me say first off, this is not the book "Growing Slow", this is the study guide that goes with the book. Let me also say, I haven't read the book and did not realize there was a book to go along with this study guide until I opened the study guide to look at and write this review.  I haven't done the study guide because I was in the middle of a different study book when it arrived, but I was intrigued with what I saw. Reading the book is not a requirement for this study guide, but it does provide a framework and some key concepts that help you apply the lessons learned. For my personality, I will probably try to read the book along with the study guide when I do it, but I was happy to see that I won't have to in case I can't get a hold of the book through the library or Net Galley. 

Each week's study has six sessions: key Bible verse, My land (where Jennifer shares her struggles with Iowa), Your land Holy land, Un-hurry your heart, and prayer. The chapters have titles that go along with growing a garden, like Cultivate, Plant, Grow, Harvest, etc. 

As I glance through the book, it looks like it will take you however deep you are willing to go. And that is one of the requirements Jennifer would give at the outset, come into this study ready to grow, with commitment to make the changes that need to be made. 

Here are some of the questions she asks: "What does God want to cultivate in you?" "Yes, there are negative connotations to the word slow, but there are also many positive ones. Take a moment to ponder the enticing invitation to the word slow. What does a slower way of living offer you?" This question is especially interesting right now as I start the busiest season of the year. How can I un-hurry my heart in the midst of the long days spent in the kitchen? 

I look forward to doing this Bible Study and can see it being a gift to look deep and try to make changes that would draw me closer to God. 

I received the Bible Study guided from Bethany House and was not required to write a positive review.  All opinions expressed are my own. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fragrant Whiffs of Joy by Dorcas Smucker (It's Giveaway time)

PRECIOUS CHILD

With Every Memory by Janine Rosche