Miriam's Song by Jill Eileen Smith

 


Miriam, Moses and Aaron's sister. How much more than that do we really know about her? There are few references here and there: she led the singing after crossing the Red Sea, she was made a leper for a couple weeks for complaining about Moses, and not much more info than that is given.

Jill takes this information and ad libs a story about Miriam, gives her a husband, children, and a life. Interspersed throughout are glimpses into Moses' life and also Zipporah's. Most is based on fiction and what Jill supposed to have happened. 

I'm not a huge fan of Biblical fiction, but Jill does tell a good story and so I keep reading her books. I'm not sure what I'll do when the next book comes out though. While I enjoyed the story of Miriam, it took me awhile to get through it. That is no fault of the author's, it is simply not quite my genre of choice.

I do like one thing Jill said in the "Note to the Reader" at the end of the book.

"The thing this story taught me the most? The holiness of God. It was His holiness that kept Him at a distance from the people because He can't look at sin. But it was His love that made Him long to be close and to tabernacle, or live, among them - to be near them in such a way that their sin wouldn't force His holiness to punish them..."

I received this book from Revell and was not required to write a positive review. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fragrant Whiffs of Joy by Dorcas Smucker (It's Giveaway time)

PRECIOUS CHILD

With Every Memory by Janine Rosche