The First Day of School






Social media is full of them, those pictures of cute, little, missing teeth first graders all excited and eager gripping a lunch box or a sign board or something that indicates that they are off to the big world of school. Sometimes fear or anxiety shines through in their eyes or the way they grip their lunch box in a tight, white-knuckle grip, but mostly it's excitement that glitters off the page, causing even the casual social media scroller to smile and remember their own first days of school. 

But what we don't see, what is kept hidden away in broken hearts are the mothers who hop onto Instagram to see what's happening with their friends and come across these cute little first graders and without warning their heart is ripped open again and the tears stream down their cheeks.  Because this was the year, this was the year their own little first grader was supposed to be going to school. This was the year they were going to have their own pictures to post on Instagram, this was the year that was going to be filled with the wonder of watching a little one learn to read.  But instead this year is filled with emptiness, sadness, unfulfilled longings, if onlys. 

That's been me this year--an unexpected grief that hit with this milestone. It feels so wrong, this grief. My house has two happy, loud, excited children in it and yet my heart misses the silent one, the one whose voice I never got to hear, the one whose eyes I never saw sparkle with mischief. 

And if this is you out there, know this, I care and I care deeply. I don't know what you are going through exactly because our stories are all different,(but I would love to hear your story) but I want you to know that someone cares and wants you to feel validated in your grief and longings. If there's anything I've learned in the last six years it's that grief doesn't make sense, it's not linear, and it certainly doesn't care about your circumstances or your environment. When it hits, it can take you by surprise and the tears will pour down your cheeks, but other times it comes as a quiet ache that lends a sorrow to your smile that only a few perceptive people will even notice. And sometimes, it's not really there even though you expected it to be. 

What we do with it is important too. I definitely believe it's okay to cry--I've done that this year, but it can also be used for good. There's a little girl that would be my little girl's age and I have found caring about her and following her life is therapeutic for me. It helps me to see beyond myself and keeps me from wallowing in my grief. 

So here it is, my belated first day of school thoughts. I don't want anyone to stop posting their happy posts. I want to see them, but I also want grace if a few tears sneak down my face.  Life is a mixture of joy and sorrow, laughter and tears and I think this depth of emotion is what keeps life full and abundant. I know that on the day that I am reunited with my little girl, all first grade pictures and the emotion they contained will pale in comparison to the sheer joy I will be experiencing. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fragrant Whiffs of Joy by Dorcas Smucker (It's Giveaway time)

PRECIOUS CHILD

With Every Memory by Janine Rosche